You are here

MFA Directing: Registration, Professional Engagement and Graduation


Your Graduate Program Advisor will consult with the Directing Program Head to plan your classes and register you for each academic quarter. However, each student is responsible for ensuring their registration is correct and that they are registered full time each quarter. Once you are registered, the Graduate Program Advisor will confirm your registration by email. Please sign into MyUW to ensure you are registered as planned.

Independent Study or Registration for Additional Coursework

If you are interested in taking classes outside of your area, outside of the department, or you are interested in pursuing an independent study separate from the registration plans determined by your area head, please consult with the Head of Directing first, and also communicate your plans with your Graduate Program Advisor.

Professional Opportunities and Internships 

Please discuss any professional work or internship opportunities with the Head of Directing, especially if they fall within the academic year to ensure they will not interfere with your studies and obtain approval before engaging in a professional opportunity/internship.

F-1 Students Engaging in Off-Campus Work/Internship and CPT (Curricular Practical Training)

If an international student chooses to engage in an off-campus work opportunity or internship in any quarter, they need to consult with International Student Services about obtaining off-campus work authorization, usually in the form of CPT (Curricular Practical Training). Remember, F-1 students are responsible for maintaining visa status during their entire time in the US on an F-1 visa.

MFA Directing Thesis

Policy memo on your directing thesis project.


Submitting your Master's Degree Request and ETD Submission of Your Thesis

Review the Graduate School’s Preparing to Graduate for more information about graduation requirements and ETD Formatting Guidelines to prepare for submission of your electronic thesis/dissertation (ETD) and the Master’s Supervisory Committee Approval. Please discuss your MFA thesis plans and the requirements for your thesis committee with the Head of Directing.

You can submit a Master's Degree Request in MyGrad Program beginning the first day of instruction for the quarter in which you will graduate. Master's Degree Requests can be submitted up until the last day of the quarter. However, if you are graduating in Spring, please submit your Master's Degree Request by April 15, if you wish to be included in the UW Commencement program.

NOTE: In MyGrad, you will be asked if you're in a thesis program. Please indicate that you ARE in a thesis program. For your thesis title, use this as a template: The Direction of PLAY TITLE by PLAYWRIGHT

Registration Waiver Fee: If you miss the master's degree request deadline

It is possible to file for your degree after the last day of your final quarter. However, in this case, you will be responsible to pay a Registration Waiver Fee for the late filing of your master's degree request. The theses/dissertations must be submitted in the UW ETD Administrator Site no later than 14 calendar days following the last day of the quarter in which all degree requirements were met. Thesis master’s students must submit a new master’s degree request within the first week (5 weekdays) of the quarter in which they will graduate. If you will file late for your degree, you will have until the last day of the quarter following your graduation quarter to pay the Registration Waiver Fee of $250. This process will also delay the posting of your master's degree.

UW Commencement 

Commencement registration starts in early May. See the UW Commencement web site for information about ordering academic regalia,  signing up to walk in the ceremony, reserving tickets for guests, etc. Commencement is entirely different from filing for your degree. You must submit a Master's Degree Request by April 15 (or the Friday of the third week of Spring Quarter) to be listed in the UW Commencement program, and you must submit a Master's Degree Request to participate in the ceremony.