The University of Washington School of Drama develops innovative and courageous artists and scholars poised to be the creative leaders of tomorrow.
As our contribution to creating a more just, equitable, and empathetic society, the University of Washington School of Drama seeks to cultivate a community of highly-skilled artists, scholars, and citizens who are engaged with the world and invested in theatrical storytelling—in all its guises—as a means of elevating and celebrating our individual and collective voices, promoting understanding, and nurturing compassion.
The School of Drama is committed to:
- supporting and nurturing the artistry and scholarship of every student, and honoring their identities, perspectives, and traditions
- creating an active learning environment which fosters meaningful work and contributes to a rich and lasting community
- promoting the development of strong character, expressed as individual responsibility, public involvement, and a continued commitment to personal growth beyond the university experience
- grounding our practice of experimentation, risk, and innovation in the study of longstanding theories and traditions
- extending the limits of those creative and analytical processes which continually renew the art