Barry Witham is Professor Emeritus of theatre history. He has published in numerous professional journals and read papers at national and international conferences. He is co-author of Uncle Sam Presents, a memoir of the Federal Theatre Project and editor of Theatre in the United States: A Documentary History. His recent book, The Federal Theatre Project: A Case Study, (Cambridge, 2003) was honored as "an outstanding academic title" by Choice Magazine. Professor Witham also worked for four years as a professional dramaturg at the Seattle Repertory Theatre. He is a member of the National Theatre Conference and of the College of Fellows of the American Theatre. In 2002, he was honored by the University of Washington with a Distinguished Teaching Award, and in 2003 he was the recipient of the Betty Jean Jones Award for teaching excellence by the American Theatre and Drama Society.
His 2013 book, A Sustainable Theatre: Jasper Deeter at Hedgerow, won the John W. Frick award for best book on American theatre and drama.
- A Sustainable Theatre, Jasper Deeter at Hedgerow, Barry Witham, Palgrave Studies in Theatre and Performance, 2013
- The Federal Theatre Project, A Case Study, Barry Witham, Cambridge Studies in American Theatre and Drama, Cambridge University Press, 2009
- Uncle Sam Presents, University of Pa Press, (with Tony Buttitta)
- Volume 1. 1750–1915: Theatre in the Colonies and the United States, Barry Witham, Cambridge University Press
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Michelle Granshaw. "The Hibernicon and Visions of Returning Home: Popular Entertainment in Irish America from the Civil War to World War I." Diss. U of Washington, 2012.
- Lisa K. Jackson-Schebetta. "Staging Spain, Staging America: Representations of Spain in U.S. Hispanic and Anglo Theatre, 1931-1939." Diss. U of Washington, 2010.
- Joshua E. Polster. "Rethinking Arthur Miller: Symbol and structure." Diss. U of Washington, 2006.
- Professor Emeritus Barry Witham's new book, From Red Baiting to Blacklisting, published - May 26, 2020
- Alumni & Faculty News, Winter 2016 - January 7, 2016
- Recent Faculty and Alumni Achievements - October 14, 2014
- Professor Emeritus Barry Witham Awarded 2014 John W. Frick Book Award - August 26, 2014
- UW Rocks ASTR - January 14, 2014
- The University of Washington interviews Barry Witham on his new book - August 20, 2013
- Restoration of theater models sparks interest in Depression-era WPA and the arts - April 27, 2006
- Spotlight on Seattle: Drama prof writes about the local version of Federal Theatre Project - February 12, 2004
- Distinguished Teaching Award, Barry Witham - June 1, 2002