Desdemona Chiang is a stage director based in Seattle, WA and Ashland, OR. Co-Founder of Azeotrope (Seattle).
Directing credits include Guthrie Theater, Alley Theatre, South Coast Repertory, Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, Baltimore Center Stage, California Shakespeare Theater, Seattle Repertory Theatre, Playmakers Repertory Company, Studio Theatre, Long Wharf Theatre, Seattle Children’s Theatre, ACT Theatre Seattle, American Shakespeare Center, Seattle Shakespeare Company, Village Theatre, Theatre Latte Da, Heritage Theatre Festival, Book-It Repertory, Aurora Theatre Company, Theatre Latte Da, Seattle Public Theatre, Shotgun Players, Crowded Fire Theatre Company, Azeotrope, Impact Theatre, Playwrights Foundation, Golden Thread Productions, Washington Ensemble Theatre, One Minute Play Festival, Ohio Northern University, University of Washington, and Cornish College of the Arts, among others. Assisting and dramaturgy credits include: Oregon Shakespeare Festival, Playmakers Repertory Company, A Contemporary Theatre, California Shakespeare Theater, Arizona Theatre Company, Intiman Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, Magic Theatre, Theatreworks, Rattlestick Playwrights Theatre, among others. Intersection for the Arts Triangle Lab Artist-Investigator. Adjunct Faculty, Cornish College of the Arts.
Awards/Affiliations: Princess Grace Award (Robert and Gloria Hausman Theater Honor), Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise in Theatre, SDC Sir John Gielgud Directing Fellowship, Drama League Directing Fellowship, TCG Young Leader of Color, Lincoln Center Theater Directors Lab and Directors Lab West. Gregory Award Recipient for Outstanding Direction.
- Congratulations the 2019 UW Drama Gregory Award Nominees! - September 19, 2019
- Student and Alumni News, March 2017 - March 10, 2017
- Wedding Band and A Tale for the Time Being Featured in City Arts Fall Arts Preview - September 2, 2016
- Desdemona Chiang (MFA '09) in City Arts Magazine—"She's the Boss" - April 28, 2016
- Alumni Spotlight: Desdemona Chiang, MFA '09 - April 11, 2016
- New Play Workshop: People Sitting in Darkness - March 15, 2016
- Alumni News, February 2016 - February 16, 2016
- Desdemona Chiang (MFA '09) receives 2016 Vilcek Prize for Creative Promise - February 3, 2016
- Event Spotlight: Seattle Theatre Symposium - October 12, 2015
- Alumni News, September 2015 - September 22, 2015
- Alumni News: January 2015 - January 20, 2015
- MFA Alum Desdemona Chiang's Azeotrope Opens Two Productions at ACT - October 23, 2013