Judith Shahn, Senior Lecturer in Voice and Dialects in the PATP, has been a leading voice specialist in the Northwest for the last twenty five years. Her innovative approach to dialect training has been documented in VASTA's publication Essays in Voice and Speech. An actress and director as well, Judith has coached dozens of productions at the Seattle Repertory Theatre, Intiman, ACT, as well as the Oregon and Utah Shakespeare Festivals. Most recently she coached Angels in America at Intiman Theatre.. Judith is a designated Linklater teacher and is a member of AEA, AFTRA, SAG and VASTA, where she is a board member. Directing credits at the UW include: Fallen Angels, The Queens, Sled, As You Like It, Othello and an original script called Humor Me. Internationally, Judith was invited to teach at The Giving Voice Conference in Cardiff, Wales. During the 2010-2011 UW Drama season, Judith starred as "Janet Horne" in Paula Bennett's thesis production of The Last Witch.
Representative Creative Work
- Angels in America, a Gay Fantasia on National Themes: by Tony Kushner in two parts: Millenium Approaches; Peristroika was the Pulitzer Prize winning play in 1993
- A Room with A View at the 5th Avenue Theatre, Book by Marc Acito, Music and lyrics by Jeffrey Stock. Conceived by Mark Acito. Based on the novel by E.M. Forester, Directed by David Armstrong.
- Judy Shahn, "Janet Horne." The Last Witch by Rona Munro, directed by Paula Bennett. Floyd and Delores Jones Playhouse, Seattle, WA, 2010.
- Judy Shahn, dialect coach. The American Cycle at Intiman Theatre, Seattle. Included All the King's Men, (directed by Pam McKinnon), To Kill a Mockingbird, and Native Son, 2004-2006.
- Judy Shahn, dialect/language coach. Homebody Kabul by Tony Kushner, directed by Bartlett Sher. Intiman Theatre, 2006.
- Judy Shahn, vocal/dialect coach. Angels in America by Tony Kushner, (Parts 1 and 2), directed by Warner Shook. Intiman Theatre, 1994.
- Judy Shahn, dialect designer and coach. A Kentucky Cycle by Robert Schenkan, directed by Warner Shook, 1992.
- Goodbye for Now to the School of Drama, from Judy Shahn - June 16, 2016
- Judith Shahn (faculty): A Week on the Orkney Islands - April 20, 2016
- Faculty Interview: Judith Shahn - April 11, 2016
- Summer Plans 2015 - June 8, 2015
- VASTA Conference Reflections - Judith Shahn - October 22, 2014