G.W. (Skip) Mercier is a set, puppet, and costume designer who began professional work in 1983 and has since designed over 360 shows. He works with acclaimed writers, directors, actors, and partner designers provoking and challenging audiences on and off Broadway, Regionally, and Internationally. He graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a BA in Dramatic Art from the University of California at Berkeley and the Yale School of Drama with an MFA where he was honored by being named the Oenslager Scholar, for the founder of the design program.
On Broadway G.W. Mercier designed the sets and costumes for Juan Darien: A Carnival Mass by Julie Taymor and Elliot Goldenthal at the Vivian Beaumont, receiving a Tony Nomination for scenery; and two Drama Desk Nominations for Scenery and Costumes. Off-Broadway, at the Vineyard Theater, Dream True by Tina Landau and Ricky Ian Gordon and Bed and Sofa by Polly Penn and Lawrence Klavan, procured him two additional Drama Desk Nominations for scenery. Regionally he was honored with the “Bay Area Critics Award” for Saroyan’s The Time of Your Life directed by Tina Landau. He also received the Daryl Roth Creative Spirit Award for Outstanding Talent and Vision in Design.
Recent work includes: Old Hats by Bill Irwin and David Shiner with music by Nellie McKay for Signature Theatre (Drama Desk Award & Lucille Lortel Award) followed by ACT in San Francisco with music by Shaina Taub; Head of Passes by Tarell Alvin McCraney at Berkeley Rep followed by The Public Theatre; the Regional premiere of In the Heights music and lyrics by Lin-Manuel Miranda and book by Quiara Alegria Hudes, directed by Matt August for Pioneer Theatre; Alice in Wonderland directed by Peter Brosius for Children’s Theatre in Minneapolis and an opera The Cunning Little Vixen for the New York Philharmonic.
Representative Creative Work
- Head of Passes. Public Theatre, New York, NY. March 17-May 1, 2015
- Alice in Wonderland. Children’s Theatre, Minneapolis, MN. April 30-June 15, 2013
- Dead Man’s Cell Phone. Playwrights Horizons, New York. February 9 – March 30, 2008
- The Ballad of Little Jo. Steppenwolf Theatre Company. September 14 – November 11, 2000
- Juan Darien: A Carnival Mass. Vivian Beaumont Theatre, Lincoln Center, NYC. Nov 24, 1996-Jan 05, 1997
- Bed and Sofa. Vinyard Theater. 1996
- Old Hats. Bill Irwin & David Shiner, with Music by Shaina Taub; Directed by Tina Landau; Signature Theatre, NYC January 2016 Download PDF (467.01 KB)
- Design (2017). Well by Lisa Kron. Seattle Repertory Theatre, Seattle WA.
- UW Drama Family Members Nominated for Seattle Theater Writers Awards - January 29, 2019
- Alumni and Faculty News, February 2017 - February 15, 2017
- Faculty Interview: L. Zane Jones - October 10, 2016
- Professor L. Zane Jones to Direct As One for the Seattle Opera - September 30, 2016
- Get to Know: Skip Mercier, senior lecturer in design - February 17, 2016
- Alumni & Faculty News, Winter 2016 - January 7, 2016
- Finding time for rest in an industry of feast or famine - August 20, 2015
- BA Design Track Meet 'n' Greet - October 23, 2020 - 5:00pm