Scott Magelssen is a Donald E. Petersen Fellow, Professor, Head of History, Theory, and Criticism, and Undergraduate Coordinator in the School of Drama. He holds a PhD in Theatre History, Theory, and Dramatic Literature from the University of Minnesota, and teaches Theatre History and Performance Studies. His most recent book, Performing Flight: From the Barnstormers to Space Tourism, was published by the University of Michigan Press in 2020. He is the author of Simming: Participatory Performance and the Making of Meaning (2014) and Living History Museums (2007), and co-editor of Enacting History (2011), Theatre Historiography: Critical Interventions (2010), and Querying Difference in Theatre History (2007). He is the Editor of Southern Illinois University Press's Theater in the Americas series and co-edits the website theater-historiography.org with Henry Bial.
- Performing Flight: From the Barnstormers to Space Tourism. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 2020.
- Scott Magelssen and Shelby Lunderman. “Tactical Slowness: Fomenting a Culture of Mental Health in the Academy.” Reversing the Cult of Speed in Higher Education: The Slow Movement in the Arts and Humanities. Ed. Jonathan Chambers and Stephannie Gearhart (Routledge, 2018).
- Axel Andersson and Scott Magelssen, “Performing a Viking History of America: The 1893 Voyage and Display of a Viking Longship at the Columbus Quadricentennial.” Theatre Journal 69.2 (June 2017), pp. 175-195.
- Scott Magelssen, “Our Academic Discipline is Making Us Sicker.” Special Section: ASTR’s 60th Anniversary. Theatre Survey 57.3 (September, 2016) 389-394.
- Scott Magelssen, “White-Skinned Gods: Thor Heyerdahl, The Kon-Tiki Museum, and the Racial Theory of Polynesian Origins.” TDR: The Drama Review 60.1 [T229] (Winter, 2016).
- “Living History Museums: The Power and Perils of Performing History,” a lecture delivered at the Arts Club of Chicago, in conjunction with the Annie Smith exhibition. January, 2015
- Scott Magelssen. Simming: Participatory Performance and the Making of Meaning. U of Michigan Press, 2014.
- Scott Magelssen and Rhona Justice-Malloy, editors. Enacting History. U of Alabama Press, 2011.
- Scott Magelssen and Henry Bial, editors. Theater Historiography: Critical Interventions. U of Michigan Press, 2010.
- Scott Magelssen and Ann Haugo, editors. Querying Difference in Theatre History. Cambridge Scholars, 2007.
- Scott Magelssen. Living History Museums: Undoing History Through Performance. Scarecrow, 2007.
Research Advised: Graduate Dissertations
- Shelby Lunderman: Cruel and Unusual Performance: (Re)producing Capital Punishment on the U.S. Stage
- Christopher Goodson - Performing Precarity: Experimental Theater, Video, and Live Political Art with Undocumented Immigrants. Dissertation, University of Washington, 2017.
- Susan Finque: "Re-story(y)ing Theatre History in the Americas: Professional Players and the Callao Contract of 1599". Dissertation, University of Washington, 2017.
- Sarah Marsh. "Never Mere Observation: Performance, Technology, and the Act of Looking." Diss. U of Washington, 2017.
- Carlos Salazar, The Memory of the Islands: Cultural Negotiations and their Remains in (Post)Colonial Costa Rica
- Robert Wighs: Alaska Native Theatre: Cultural Resurgence and Reception in Post-Statehood Alaska
- Monica Cortes Viharo: Trauma Drama: The Translocal Legibility of Trauma and Utopia in Contemporary Feminist Performance
- Jason Eckard - Tenth and Eleventh Century Liturgical Drama and the Rise of the Latin Christian Church
Spring 2017 - Museum 558, Museum Theatre and Performance
- New Year, New Faculty & Staff Appointments in the School of Drama - October 8, 2020
- Scott Magelssen awarded Petersen Endowed Fellowship - January 8, 2019
- Unearthing Seattle’s Deeper Histories through Art and Humanities - October 9, 2018
- Summer 2018: What our students, faculty, and staff are up to! - June 12, 2018
- Meet a BA: Emma Halliday - May 29, 2018
- New year, new faculty appointments at UW Drama - September 28, 2017
- Skies Over Seattle featured in A&S Perspectives - May 4, 2016
- Performance Studies Research Group Lecture - January 19, 2016
- Members of PhD program participate in panel addressing the realities of being Muslim today - January 12, 2016
- Summer Plans 2015 - June 8, 2015
- Performance Studies Research Group Fosters Cross-disciplinary Conversations - May 7, 2015
- Building Connections Between Theatre and Museums - Scott Magelssen - March 12, 2015
- Scott Magelssen Profiled in Columns Magazine - September 17, 2014
- Problematic Simulations - Scott Magelssen - May 5, 2014
- Associate Professor Scott Magelssen Discusses Forthcoming Book - March 19, 2014
- UW Rocks ASTR - January 14, 2014
- Edinburgh 2020 Study Abroad Q & A - December 9, 2019 - 4:00pm to 5:00pm
- Coffee and Concepts: The Face of God - October 18, 2019 - 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Maple & Vine Lobby Talk: The Push for Pastness - January 29, 2017 - 1:00pm to 1:30pm
- Performing Arts Lectures: The Arts and Humanities in the STEM-Focused Academy - October 25, 2016 - 7:30pm
- Skies Over Seattle - June 3, 2016 to June 5, 2016
- Henry Bial: Jesus Christ, Broadway Star - May 20, 2016 - 4:00pm
- “A Racist Love Note: Stereotypes and Caricatures in early 20th Century Valentine’s Day Cards.” - January 22, 2016 - 5:00pm
- Some are Born Green, Some Achieve Greeness: Protest Theatre and Environmental Activism - October 15, 2013 - 7:30pm